Sunday, January 18, 2009

Garden Journal: 18 Jan 2009

Today I set up a new worm bin, as my current bin is ready to be harvested.

I'm trying the low-work approach of putting the new bin on top of the old bin and just let the worms from the lower bin migrate into the new bin as they use up the available food in the old bin (of course, you have to put some food in the new bin, which I did).

I'm not sure how long this process will take–I expect at least a month.

I also harvested the chicken bedding from the chicken house and added it to the leaf compost bin, which should heat things up nicely.

The bin itself is a mixture of shredded newspaper and leaves. Dada helped me shred the newspaper (using a small office shredder), which she seemed to enjoy doing.



Post a Comment

<< Home